Hearty Vegetable Soup
You will only need 10 ingredients to make this super healthy warming vegan soup. There is one special ingredient here which will make sure it is a real filling meal… Oats! Did you ever put that in your soup before? You should try it, it’s very good and makes the soup a bit thicker too.
It’s still very cold here (-16C /3.2F) so we really crave some warming hearty soups. You can actually use a lot of other vegetables in this dish too, or just use what’s left in your fridge. I’m going to share my version of it here.
Note: this will make A LOT of soup! I love that and find it convenient to freeze it and take it out when needed. You can also just cut the recipe in half if you don’t want that much.
To make the soup you wil need:
- 1 Sweet potato
- Half a leek
- 1 Big onion
- 125 grams of mushrooms
- Half a cauliflower
- 2 Big carrots
- A chunk of Celery root (about 200 grams)
- 1/2 handfuls of fresh herbs
- Vegetable Stock
- The biggest job will be to cut all the veggies. You’ll preferably need to cut them into bite size chuncks, so your soup is easy to eat.
- In a large large pan you have to heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add chopped onions and cook for about 5 minutes until tender, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon or heatproof spatula
- Then you add in the rest of the vegetables giving it a stir frequently so nothing burns in the pan.
- Next you have to add about 1 to 1.5 liters of stock and your oats. I think it is best to use whole oats, and not the ones you use to make porridge. Even though they might just work too.
- These oats do have to boil for quite some time, anywhere between 30-50 minutes I think. At the end of the cooking time you can add the herbs in.
- Serve with some (vegan) creme and you’re good to go!