A lot of kids can probably eat regular dal, especially when brought up to eat food with lot’s of spices. But my kids, probably together with many other ones, always prefer the more bland/dull foods. You know, your typical boiled potatoes, boiled veggies, the always-popular-pasta-tomatosauce, nothing too exciting… So I made this kid-friendly version of our ‘go-to’ Dal with still lots of flavor and spices, but not too strong for the kids. My youngest (2) LOVES this, my eldest (4) is still a little bit more sceptical but will eat it when offered with nan-bread 🙂 We as adults also still enjoy the flavor and spice it up a bit more with some delicious toppings!
Makes a meal for 2 adults and 2 kids. Can easily be doubled to save one meal for later the same week. We often serve one with nan-bread and one with rice.
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- spices (see picture below)2 big carrots
- half a cauliflower
- about 150 gram red lentils
- a can of tomato-sauce
- about half a can of coconutmilk (or more to taste)
- About half /whole can of water or vegetable stock.
- Heat oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and fry until golden. Then add the spices and cover the onions and garlic mixture and let fry for a bit, until it smells superdelicious.
- Now you can add the other veggies and your tomato-sauce, coconutmilk and vegetable stock. Stir a bit and then add the lentils.
- After adding the lentils you’ll have to make sure to stir every once in a while to make sure they won’t stick to the bottom and burn. When it’s becoming too thick you can add a bit more water or stock. The dal is done when the lentils are cooked (after about 30 minutes).
- Now you can serve with toppings to taste.
My kids typically would want avocado/ coconut cream on top to complete their kid friendly dal. They are also more likely to eat the ‘recognizable vegetables, hence the big cauliflower-pieces 🙂
For me and my husband a serving would typically look like this… And likely also quite some extra coriander/cilantro but the amount we usually use doesn’t look that good in a picture 😀