My Secret Ingredient Vegan Pancakes
One of the things I was quite sceptical about was making vegan pancakes. I mean, eggs and milk are pretty much the main ingredient of a pancake… so how on earth were vegan pancakes going to be any tasty?! But you know what, these vegan pancakes are so good, it actually makes you wonder WHY there are eggs in regular pancakes. You absolutely don’t need them to make tasty fluffy and easy pancakes, that’s for sure.
I made the basic version for this recipe and then added some blueberries. You can also add in some banana’s and mash them up in the dough. Another fruit, raisins, or chocolat chips… all would also be possible to add, just as whatever you’d like to add in your ‘normal’ pancakes.
As for my secret ingredient… I can tell you now, it is… a lot of love… No just kidding 😀 Although there is a bunch of love in these pancakes too… But the real trick is apple cider vinegar! Yes, it is! What is that doing in my pancakes?? Well it is there to enhance the other flavours, making these pancakes taste incredibly delicious! But also, it makes them fluffier than ever. The vinegar will react with the baking soda and makes sure the chemical reaction to produce carbon dioxide gets started. That’s what makes the fluffy airy pancakes rise 🙂 I think it really is the number 1 trick for vegan pancakes!
My Secret Ingredient Pancakes
- 130 grams Flour (1 cup)
- 90 grams oats (1 cup)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 3-5 tbsp vegetable oil (sunflowerseed)
- 0.5 liter plant milk (oat) (2 cup)
- 3-5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Whisk until all the ingredients are well combined with the dry ingredients.
- Now you can let the mixture rest for a bit (about 10 minutes will do). It will likely thicken up a bit because of the oats soaking up the liquid. You might want to add a bit more milk, but can adjust this to your own taste.
- You can also add your extra’s now, like the blueberries as we did ?
- Then you can start baking your pancakes in some oil over a medium heat. Don’t need too long on each side, just until golden brown.
- And then top with something you like, like more blueberries or maple syrup… and ENJOY!